For two pies.
From a box sold in Nampa, Idaho.
Macadamia Nut Cream Pie
2 9-inch pie shells
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
3/4 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup water
1 cup cream
1 Tbsp. vanilla
2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts, plus more for decorating
- Bake 2 9-inch pie shells and let cool.
- Beat 4 egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick and pale.
Sprinkle 3/4 envelope gelatin over 1/4 cup
creamwater in bowl.
Stir 1 cup warm cream gradually into egg mixture.
Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly with whisk.
Add gelatin as mixture gets hot.
Cook until custard thickens, stirring constantly.
Stir over cracked ice until it is cool; add 1 Tbsp. vanilla while stirring.
- Beat 4 egg whites until stiff.
Fold into custard.
- Whip 2 cups whipping cream and 1/2 cup sugar (whip cream before folding egg whites above)
- Fold custard and whipped cream together. Add 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts.
- Pour into pie shells; decorate with chopped nuts and shaved chocolate.
Chill for several hours.
For fuller and deeper pie shells, double recipe for 3 pies (Mrs. Smith’s 9 inch).