“Straight dough method.”
From a box sold in River Forest, Illinois.
1 c. hot liquid–all milk or 1/2 milk and 1/2 water
yeast, 1/2 cake
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. fat
3 to 4 c. flour — enough to make a light dough that can be handled on a bread board with very little flour.
Steps in making bread:
- Scald liquid.
- Add shortening, sugar, salt to half of that.
- Cool liquid to 95 deg. F. or below.
- Add yeast mixed with remaining liquid which was cooled before being mixed with the yeast.
- Add flour to make a soft dough (all flour required except that for use on bread board).
- Knead dough until smooth.
- First rising: set in greased bowl to rise until double in bulk.
- Knead or punch down.
- Second rising.
- Knead, shape–allow to rise in greased pans.
Bake–remove from pan.
Straight dough method.