There were some blanks to fill in.
The reason why the instruction to turn the page over is scratched out is that this was the back of a workbook of some kind and the back was printed in a dark blue. But fortunately, sponge cakes have a pretty specific process, so I’ll take a stab at what the rest of the recipe should be.
Orange Sponge Cake
6 egg yolks
1 Tbsp. grated orange peels
1/2 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour
6 egg whites
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Instructions provided by Yesterdish to complete this recipe:
- Let eggs reach room temperature.
- Sift together the flour, the salt, and 1/3 cup sugar. Preheat oven to 325.
- Beat yolks till pale yellow. While beating, gradually add half the sugar (2/3 cup), the orange juice, and the orange peel. Continue to beat and gradually add flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peak stage. Gradually at 1/3rd cup sugar and continue beating till stiff peaks form.
- Mix one-third of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture; then carefully fold the remaining two thirds of the whites into the yolk mixture in two separate batches. (Incorporating the whites this three-step process helps retain the most air overall.)
- Fill a tube pan and bake for 45 minutes.
From the box of S.H. of Marshall, Missouri.